Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mission Accomplished



The project had stalled! While it was entirely feasible to look for another farm, in this area or elsewhere, the obvious decision was to wait to see if this farm would come back on the market. The main reason to wait for this farm was familial. The cousins' maternal grandfather had brought the world famous "Hillmoor" Merino stud to the district, and had established it on the farm next door. My father, 90 years old at the time of proposed purchase, had worked with his brother on this farm in 1932 - his first job after leaving high school in England and returning to South Africa. His brother N had married the daughter of the wool baron, and his family (the cousins) had been in the area ever since.

On the night of 29 November, I phoned D - the owner.

"Has the farm been sold?" I asked.

"No, but the option holder has requested an extension." D replied.

Since I had an irrevocable option once the first option expired, I advise him that I would not allow an extension.

"If we are going to do a deal, it will be done very quickly, if not then you can revert to the original option holder within 2 days." I said.

We agreed that I would phone him on the morning of 1 December to see if the option had expired or if the farm had been sold. I then phoned brother R to see if they still wanted to pursue emigrating from Zimbabwe; I was not going to pursue the farm if they had changed their minds and were going to tough it out up North. He conferred with the family and confirmed they had not changed their minds. It was a relatively brave thing to do, his wife G had not visited the farm; the only connection she had with the place was the photographs we had taken during our fleeting visit. We agreed on a reasonable purchase price; above which we would not go and terminated the call.

I phoned owner D on 1 December and asked the million rand question: Had the property been sold?

"No" D stated, the option holder has not been able to raise the finance, and since
you would not give him an extension, the deal fell through"

Adrenalin Rush !!

We disussed various issues and I then made the opening offer. He rejected it (as I knew he would) and made a counter. His counter was exactly the amount R and my agreed price was. After another call to brother R, I phoned D back and agreed to his price. we then discussed procedure and takeover dates. He said he would get his accountant to draw up the agreement of sale, and get back to me as soon as it was ready. I phoned brother R and told him the good news. It is one thing to agree to a deal in principle, it is quite another to commit to it when emigration and a whole new life is part of it. There would be stressful times ahead.I then phoned the cousins and told them that barring unforseen circumstances they had a new neighbour.



The agreement was reached in less than 8 hours. That, unfortunately, was to be the only speedy part of the transaction. It was to become apparent that a Johannesburg sense of urgency and an Eastern Cape one were not the same animal.



It was to be a long road ahead!

No comments: